What We Believe
I am the Lord, and there is no other. Isaiah 45:6
- There is only one God, who exists for eternity (Deuteronomy 6:4; Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 43:10)
- Although God is one, He exists in three persons-Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—who are equal in nature, power, and glory (Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14).
- God is distinct from His creation, being the Creator and Sustainer of all things.
- He has revealed Himself to mankind through his works (Psalm 19:1; Romans 1:20), Word (2 Timothy 3:16,17), and Son (Hebrews 1:1,2).
I am the way and the truth and the life… John 14:6
- Jesus Christ is both God (John 1:1) and man (1 Timothy 2:5)
- He is the only begotten Son of God (John 3:16)
- He was miraculously conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary (Luke 1:34,35)
- He was sinless (Hebrews 4:15)
- His death on a cross atoned for mankind’s sin and made reconciliation with God possible (1 John 2:2; 2 Corinthians 5:19,21).
- He is mankind’s only hope for salvation (John 14:6; Acts 4:12).
- After his death on the cross, he bodily resurrected, appeared to others, then ascended into heaven (1 Corinthians 15:3-8; 1 Timothy 3:16).
- Jesus is the only mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 7:25).
- One day, he will personally, bodily, and visibly return to judge the world (Revelation 1:7; 22:12).
He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever... John 14:16
- The Holy Spirit is a personal being who works in the world today convicting the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8).
- He comforts and strengthens Christians through his indwelling presence (John 14:16; 2 Corinthians 3:18).
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son... John 3:16
- Humans are created in God's image (Genesis 1:27).
- Death and sin entered the world following Adam's sin (Romans 5:12)
- Through our efforts, we cannot be righteous in God's sight (Romans 3:20); we all depend on God's grace given us in Christ's death (Galatians 2:21).
- Having been saved, we are to grow and become more like Jesus (Romans 8:29).
- The goal of our faith is the redemption of our souls and bodies (1 Peter 1:9; Romans 8:23).
- Through Jesus we have eternal life, but whoever rejects Him is condemned (John 3:36).
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith… Ephesians 2:8
- We are saved by grace through faith, not through our own works (Ephesians 2:8,9).
- A living faith expresses itself through confessing that Jesus is Lord (Romans 10:9,10), repenting of sin and submitting to baptism (Acts 2:38).
- Baptism is by immersion (Romans 6:4) and for the forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38; 22:16).
- Those in Christ have great assurance (Romans 8:1); yet to be saved, we must persevere in God’s grace (Hebrews 10:35-39; Galatians 5:4).
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful… 2 Timothy 3:16
- The 66 books of the Old and New Testaments are the inspired Word of God (2 Peter 2:20,21).
- These alone serve as the authoritative basis for our faith and practice (2 Timothy 3:16,17).
We also believe that…
- Love should be the distinguishing characteristic of Christ's followers (John 13:35).
- The mission of the church is to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19,20) and to bring Christians to spiritual maturity (Colossians 1:28).
- Remembering Jesus by celebrating Communion weekly is both scriptural and beneficial (1 Corinthians 11:23-26; Acts 20:7).
- The local church should be independent, yet interdependent with the church as a whole.
- Holding certain Bible teachings is essential to being a Christian, while the Bible itself allows for differences of opinions in other areas (Romans 14:1-15:7).
- Christians are to be moral and live a lifestyle that is pleasing to Christ (1 Peter 1:15,16).
- God creates each person as male or female and that these two distinct complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Genesis 1:26-27).
- God created marriage to be exclusively the union of one biological male and one biological female and intimate sexual activity is to occur exclusively within that union (Matthew 19:2-8, Hebrews 13:4).
- Any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and the use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God (1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8) but will be forgiven by God when we turn to him in true repentance (Acts 3:19).
- Infants and young children are innocent in the eyes of the Lord; therefore, we only baptize people who are old enough to make their own decisions for Christ (Matthew 19:14).
- Every Christian has received a spiritual gift to serve others and glorify God (1 Peter 4:10,11).
This statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. As stated above, the Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of Impact Christian Church’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our board of elders is Impact’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.